Green Tea Cookies
Course: Dessert Cuisine: Japanese Keyword: cookie, green tea powder, matcha Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 2 hours 35 minutes Servings: 24 cookies Author: Nami Enjoy your afternoon tea with these buttery, crispy Green Tea Cookies with Matcha powder. The unique flavor of matcha in the cookies is surprisingly delightful!
- 240 g all-purpose flour (plain flour) (2 cups; If you’re using a cup measurement, please follow this method to measure. Otherwise, the amount of flour tends to be more than you need.)
- 15 g matcha green tea powder (2 ½ Tbsp; 1 Tbsp matcha is 6 g)
- 170 g unsalted butter (¾ cup; softened)
- 130 g confectioners’ sugar/powder sugar (roughly 1 cup)
- pinch kosher/sea salt (I use Diamond Crystal; Use half for table salt)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 50 g white chocolate chips (¼ cup)
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Combine 240 g (2 cups) all-purpose flour and 15 g (2 ½ Tbsp) matcha green tea powder in a large bowl.
- Sift the flour and the matcha powder.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat 170 g (¾ cup) unsalted butter until smooth and creamy. It’s important to soften the butter ahead of time.
- Add a pinch of salt and blend.
- Add 130 g (roughly 1 cup) powder sugar and blend until soft and light. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Add 2 large egg yolks and mix well until combined.
- Gradually add the flour and matcha green tea powder mix and blend until the dough is smooth.
- Add 50 g (¼ cup) white chocolate chips and blend well.
- Cut the dough in half and shape into 2 cylinders, about 1.5 inches (4 cm) diameter, 7″ (18 cm) long.
- Wrap the logs in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until firm, at least 2 hours (or overnight). Optional: you can place the logs on a bed of rice while chilling. It’ll keep the dough in a nice cylindrical shape, so your cookie slices won’t be flat on one side.
- Preheat the oven to 350 ºF (175 ºC). Line the baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking liner. Remove the dough from the plastic wrap, and with a sharp knife, slice the dough into ⅓ inches (7 mm)-thick rounds. Place them on the baking sheet, leaving about 1” (2.5 cm) between rounds.
- Bake the cookies at 350 ºF (175 ºC) for about 15 minutes, or until the edge of the cookies starts to get slightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes; then carefully transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely. If you pack the cookies in an airtight container, they will keep for at least 4 days.
- You can also freeze the unbaked logs of dough, wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 2 months. Let sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes before cutting and baking. Do not let the dough fully defrost.
Recipe is slightly adapted from A Food Lover’s Journey, originally from Okashi Treats by Keiko Ishida.